Big Lou’s Pizza
San Antonio, Texas
March 9th, 2012
Pizza Brothers in Attendance (plus their guests)
- Dean + 1
- Fazia + 1
- Nick + 2
- Steve + 2
14 noble Warriors of the Slice met in glorious battle against 64 slices of delicious pizza. After a hard fought contest, 14 enemy slices survived and were captured. So 50 slices were eaten in total, giving an average of 3.5 slices per combatant. Therefore, each person consumed 154 in² of pizza. All in all, it was a valiant effort and all brothers are to be commended, but ultimately the goal of consuming two entire 42-inchers was not met.
- The 4th Annual Grand Conclave of The Brotherhood of Pizza Friday will take place at Big Lou’s on the Friday before Spring Break 2013.
- Big Lou’s now makes a 62” pizza. Consuming an entire one will be the mission of the 2013 trip.
- To order a 62” pizza, a reservation must be made as only 2 62-inchers are made per day. Currently, the waiting list is least 2 months long. As soon as the dates of Spring Break 2013 are known, the Secretary Slice should make the appropriate reservations.
- As the 62” pizza is more than twice the size in area as its 42” cousin, and, as 14 brothers failed to accomplish the mission of consuming 2 42-inchers this year, a strong emphasis must be placed on recruitment for 2013. It is estimated that 19-20 contestants will be needed in order to reach our goal.
- Total area = π*(42/2)² = 441π = 1385.44 in²
- 32 slices
- Area / slice = 1385.44 / 32 = 43.295 in²
- Total area = π*(62/2)² = 961π = 3019.07 in²
- Number of slices unknown
- Possible areas / slice:
- 32 slices: 94 in² / slice
- 48 slices: 62 in² / slice
- 64 slices: 47 in² / slice
- (2) 42” pizzas ordered
- 64 slices total
- 14 slices left over
- 64 - 14 = 50 slices eaten
- 14 eaters
- 50 / 14 = 3.57 slices / person
- 3.57 * 43.295 = 154.625 in² / person
- 62” pizza is 961π / 441π = 2.179 times bigger than the 42” pizza.
- Assume each person eats the same amount as this year (154.625 in²)
- We need 961π / (50/14 * 441π/32) = 19.525 people to attain our goal of consuming an entire 62” pizza.